Monday, June 8, 2009

Phantom...missing the big deal!

Last weekend, Sarah and I took in the touring production of Phantom of the Opera at the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis. We were kind of excited to take it in because neither of us had ever seen it and it is kind of a well known show!

I want to preface this all by saying that I am sure somewhere (a long time ago) Phantom was probably really good! I but it was quite the thing to see. However, something about this tour was missing and it felt so watered down that it was lacking almost any REAL human emotion. Not that I have to be moved every time I see a play, but I expect theater to make me feel SOMETHING!!!

It is hard to pin point the real problems with the show. The sets were delightful (albeit some of them looked a little cheap) and the costumes were incredibly beautiful! The actors all held their own, but something was still missing? Needless to say, I walked out feeling like I couldn't figure out what all of the fuss was about! 

No comments: