Thursday, June 18, 2009

A Chorus Line - Orpheum Theater - Minneapolis, MN

Sarah and I made a spontaneous week day excursion to see A Chorus Line at the Orpheum last night. Neither of us had ever seen this classic, nor did we know much about it going in. Basically, we were just hoping this "classic" piece of American musical theater would not let us down like Phantom of the Opera did earlier this month!!

I am going to be honest and say that - for me - this was one of the best touring productions I have seen all year! Besides Spring Awakening and maybe the final tour of Rent with the original Mark and Roger, we have seen some rough touring productions this year. Many of come across cheap and weak. Not A Chorus Line! I enjoyed this simple production immensely!

I wish I could say the same for Sarah. She struggles with musicals that don't have elaborate set pieces or lots of action. That is definitely not A Chorus Line!

This show is simple with very little set. The lighting was really solid and the sound was better than many of the touring shows we have seen too. Overall, the acting and dancing were so strong that I was sucked up in this production from the opening moments all the way until the showy curtain call. I guess this is one show that Sarah and I are going to have to disagree about!

Next weekend...it is all about Singin in the Rain at the Ordway! I hope it is better than I think it will be! :)

No comments: